Task to be performed
(1) Co-ordinate/ Organize/Showcase various cultural activities
Having organized cultural activities/ programmes for creating the infrastructure of self-employment & self sufficiency to artistes and providing prestigious stage to folk/tribal artistes of the state. Also, having represented department at various forums/meetings.
Same as in previous column.
· Cultural programmes were staged at Maghar and Lucknow to commemorate birth anniversary of Kabir, at Kushinagar, Varanasi and Siddharthanagar to commemorate anniversary of Mahatma Budha and at Balia and Meerut to celebrate the first freedom struggle movement of 1857.
· 10 day training workshops on folk music & dance and semi-classical music were organized/managed at Gorakhpur, Jhansi, Faizabad, Chhatta (Mathura), Varanasi and Lucknow in the month of June, 2017 with view to glorifying the art forms of folk artistes coming from various regions of the villages of Uttar Pradesh.
· Observing the significance of rains in the life of farmers, Cultural programmes were put up at Vrindavan (Mathura), Gorakhpur & Ayodhya in the month of July, 17 on the titles of Barkha Bahar, Megh Malhar & Sawan Jhoola to commemorate the birth centenary year (2016-17) of Ptd. Deen Dayal Upadhayay.
· Painting camp was organized in the month of July, 17 at Central Lalit Kala Akademi, Lucknow to commemorate the birth centenary year (2016-17) of Ptd. Deen Dayal Upadhayay.
· Instructive dramas viz. Chandra Gupta and Shankaracharya plays were staged respectively in the month of July, 17 & Sept., 17 at Mughalsarai (Chandauli) & Varanasi in commemoration of the birth centenary year (2016-17) of Ptd. Deen Dayal Upadhayaya.
· Performance of Alha Dangal (a special style of Alha singing) was organized at Takia (Unnao) in the month of Sept., 17.
· The procession march on the road with dance & playing of the instruments by artistes of various states was organized & their performances were staged on the occasion of the closing ceremony of Ptd. Deen Dayal Upadhayaya birth centenary year (2016-17) at Deen Dayal Upadhayaya Dham of Farha (Mathura) in the month of Sept.,17.
· With a view to promote friendly exchanges between South Korea and India in the field of culture, tourism and economy and promote the joint project for remodelling the Memorial Park of Queen Heo Hwang-ok, I not only participated in the Indian delegation to attend the Queen Huh Festival organized at Gimhae, South Korea on 28-29 October, 2017 but also actively co-operated in promoting and strengthening the bilatrel cultural relations between the two Countries which goes back to around 48 A.D.
· With the objective of commemorating the important Indian rituals and festivities like Lord Ram Vivah, performances of various forms and styles of Ramleela prevalent throughout Eastern, Western, Northern and Southern India and some of the Ramleelas from abroad were organized at Ramayan Mela, Ayodhya from 22 to 25 November, 2017.
· "Deepotsav", the biggest Diwali of Ayodhya was organized by the Department of Culture, UP on 18th October, 2017 in the leadership of Hon'ble Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Sri Yogi Aditya Nath who hosted the festival by lighting 1.75 lakh diyas/earthen lamps. With the objective of welcoming Lord Ram's return from 14 years' exile, his victory over Ravan the demon and recreating the scene of Ram-Rajyabhishek, procession was taken out on the roads of Ayodhya with actors and actresses playing the characters of Ram, Sita, Hanuman and other characters of Ram Darbar. In this precession actors and actresses from the various styles of Ramleela prevalent in India and abroad also participated.
· With Uttar Pradesh being selected as the partner state by the Govt. of Haryana in the International Geeta Mahotasav, Kurukshetra organized from 25 to 27 November, 2017, Department of Culture, Govt. of UP arranged the performances of folk music and folk dances (Bundelkhand, Bhojpuri, Awadhi and Braj) and exhibitions of paintings, archival records and photographs of the artifacts showcasing the cultural heritage of UP. The cultural night by the culture department, UP was not only acclaimed throughout every nook and corner of the country but its spiritual message also reverberated in the hearts and minds of all the human beings.
· With Uttar Pradesh being selected as the theme state by the Govt. of Haryana in the International Craft Mela, Faridabad organized from 02 to 17 Febuary, 2018, Department of Culture, Govt. of UP arranged the performances of folk music and folk dances of various regions of UP (Bundelkhand, Bhojpuri, Awadhi and Braj) to showcase the cultural heritage of UP. The cultural unity in diversity as showcased by the efforts of the cultural department of UP won the acclaims of the people.
· With the objective of commemorating the formation of the State of UP from the United Province of Oudh of British India, the Govt. of UP organized UP Diwas and Republic Day function from 24 to 26 January, 2018 in which the Deprtment of Culture not only arranged the performances of the folk music and folk dance and displayed the exhibitions of paintings and archival records but also arranged the performances of folk music and dance of other MoU States like Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya and Maharashtra.
· With the objective of promoting the target "One District One Product", "Ek Bharat-Sherastha Bharat", "Naya Bharat-2022" Investors Summit was organized by the Govt. of UP on 21-22 Febuary, 2018 in which high level meeting was held under the chairmanship of Hon'ble Prime Minister of India and in the persence of Hon'ble Chief Minister of UP who addressed the investors participating throughout the state of UP and all over the Country. In this summit various cultural programmes of folk music and folk dances of UP and MoU states viz Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya and Maharashtra was presented.
· Gorakhpur Mahotsav was organized from 11 to 13 January, 2018 at Gorakhpur the temple city of Gorakhnath
(2) Regulate the implementation of various schemes/ policies/ programmes of the department.
Having implemented schemes/policies of the department from the citizen centric perspective.
Same as in previous column.
· Archaeological Survey was conducted at village level in the district of Jalaun, Banda & Jaunpur.
· Exhibition of historical records and photographs was organized at Jhansi, Rampur & Gorakhpur on the occasion of Dr. Bheem Rao Ambedakar birth anniversary.
· Training on "National Archival Policy" was imparted to the employees of the offices of District Magistrates.
· 'World Heritage Week' was organized at Gorakhpur, Jhansi, Mathura, Kannoj & Varanasi.
· Theatre workshops and drama festivals organized at Lucknow & Delhi wherein commendable performances were given by the students of Bharatandu Natya Academy.
· Digitization of the books related to Gumnami Baba was under taken by Ramkatha Museum, Ayodhya, Faizabad.
· As Secretary, U.P.Sangeet Natak Akademy, various programmes viz Avadh Sandhya, Rasmanch, Yaaden, Dharohar, Naman, Workshops were organized by U.P. Sangeet Natak Academy in which number of visitors not only applauded the shows but encouraged the efforts of academy. Significant to mention here that the publication of quarterly magazine Chhayanat was also brought out.
Monday, May 7, 2018
Culture Promotion In Uttar Pradesh
A. What I was supposed to do as Special Secretary and Director Culture:
(1) To co-ordinate/organize/showcase various cultural activities of 03 directorates & 10 autonomous institutions throughout the state -- with the Tag Line – “Sanskriti ke Rang : Nayee Peedhi ke Sang”.
(2) To provide prestigious stage to folk/tribal artistes of the state on the occasion of different National fest/fairs.
(3) To represent the deptt. at various forums/meetings for evaluation of departmental activities.
(4) To review the relevance of the constitutions of various departmental institutions & consider their modification.
(5) To regulate the implementation of various schemes/policies of the deptt. in citizen centric perspective.
(6) To formulate the policy for the implementation of new schemes and for rejuvenating the progress of existing schemes/projects.
(7) To deliver the remuneration and value to the artistes and laity in the form of fee, pension, grant in aid and in the form of infrastructural facilities like auditoria and exhibition galleries.
(8) To assimilate the folk/tribal/terminal artistes in the mainstream culture of the state.
(9) To distribute honours/awards to great personalities/in the name of esteemed figures.
(10) To undertake survey, excavation and conservation of antiquities/monuments, the showcasing of art objects and construction of statues of renowned figures.
(11) To supervise the preparation of annual budget, budgetary allocations sanctioned, expenditure audit and utilization of the same in the specified time frame.
(12) To provide immediate solution for complaints/grievances refferd by CM Office to the dept., Integrated Grievance Redressal System (IGRS) is activated on its tiptoes.
(13) To forward the requisitions to various service commissions for selection/direct recruitment.
(14) To constitute the D.P.C. for promotion of departmental employees/officers.
B. What I did against -A :
3. New Initiatives, Exceptional contributions, challenging tasks :
Department of Culture is constituted of three Directorates viz Museum, Archaeology & Culture Directorate and various autonomous bodies like Sangeet Natak Academy, Lalit Kala Academy, Bharatandu Natya Academy, Rastriya Kathak Sansthan, Bhatkhande Sangeet Deemed University, Jain Vidya Shodh Sansthan etc. Following administrative tasks were undertaken by me as the Special Secretary and Director to the Department of Culture:
1- Various posts of Assistant Directors in above Directorates were lying vacant from the last 10 to 12 years. As the Special Secretary and Director to the Deptt. of Culture, I got the requisitions of the said posts sent to the UP Public Service Commission. Moreover, for the selections made by UP Subordinate Service Selection Commission, appointment orders were issued for their respective posts.
2- Various departmental activities like cultural programmes, exhibitions, seminars and maintenance of museum and archival galleries were well managed by my efforts as a Director Dept. of Culture.
3- As Secretary SNA, tried to beautify whole campus through wall paintings, enhanced greenary with improved gardens etc. and paid more attention to regular cleanliness to make the campus more attractive for the visitors and artisits. As a result, public image of SNA was drastically improved.
4- A new style of administration i.e. “Administration By Participation” was initiated. In this, took meetings of officials, associated artists and experts to take their valuable opinions/views for respective organizations. This enriched and improved the quality of decisions.
5- By continuous efforts, activities, valuable guidance and support from the then Secretary Smt. Aneeta C. Meshram, whole department was energized and was in active mode during the said period.6- A new approach was started in SNA wherein students were sent to perform in other states (Kurukshetra, Arunachal Pradesh) in order to build their confidence and make them perfect in their learnings. This improved the image of SNA in general public as well as in the minds of parents of concerned students.
This is to clearly specify that the Deptt. of Culture and all its directorates and autonomous bodies were unable to function in a smooth way because of shortage of manpower. The technical know-how and technical expertise of computer learning and programming is lacking to the extent that most of the employees are working in the deptt. in the old traditional style of functioning. They are not adapted to using latest techniques of computer applications. Moreover, many of the dream objectives of the deptt. remain unfulfilled because of the shortage of the resources in the budgetary allocation.
(1) Financial Management & Fiscal Planning.
(2) Project Planning and Management using IT/ICT tools.
(3) e-Governance and m-governance with special focus on governance using cloud technology and IOT.